ANIMATION FUNDAMENTALS - PROJECT 2


04.10.19 - 05.12.19 (Week 6 - Week 16)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Animation Fundamentals

Project 2 - Metamorphosis



PROJECT 2: METAMORPHOSIS

04.10.19 (Week 6)

For our metamorphosis, we were first taught by Mr. Hezrey to morph something simple, which this is also a flip book exercise. Mr. Hezrey gave us a lecture about learning the basic of animation. He asked the students how many frames/drawings to make one minute animation?

One second animation would be 12 frames x 2.
24 drawings x 60 seconds x 1 hour = 1440 frames/drawings in a minute.

He also taught us that animation is determined by sounds: voiceover, sound effects, and background music.

This is my final outcome of flip book exercise. There was actually the previous one before this, but I already threw it away. Mr. Hezrey said the first one I've made was too fast and I shouldn't make it in 3D. It will be easier to understand if I start morphing from 2D drawing first.

Fig 1.1
Flip Book (Metamorphosis) Exercise

Therefore, I made a new flip book exercise about a love letter morphing into a pigeon. The concept was a long time ago, people would send messages with letters. When I think about letters, I also thought about birds that sent the messages. That is why I made metamorphosis from love letter that is to be delivered by a pigeon, but instead the message was sent by the letters themselves.

Ms. Anis said it's cute and already good. It might be better if I could animate it digitally, but since this exercise is a revision, I made it a week before submission, and I didn't have time to digitalise it.

11.10.19 (Week 7)

For this week, the students decided to morph foods and each person has their own part. The order is:
  1. Jennifer: Pizza
  2. Debbie: Onigiri
  3. Julie: Donut
  4. Wafir: Hotdog
  5. Helen: Chocolate
  6. Senta: Fries
  7. Daisya: Sandwich
  8. Yu Hui: Popsicle
  9. Ga Hyeong: Hamburger
  10. Si Hyun: Cupcake
  11. Jasmine: Takoyaki
My part is morphing chocolate into fries.


Fig 1.2
Metamorphosis Sketch

I asked Ms. Anis how I could make the metamorphosis. She gave me feedback and suggestions then I combined her suggestions with my opinion. Ms. Anis said my idea is interesting and told me that I could go with it.

I actually had difficulties in working on the metamorphosis, because when everyone was doing 2D drawing, there are some that uses 3D. Ms. Anis said it might be challenging for those who will morph 2D into 3D, but that will be some ways for us students to learn to. And.. I got to work on the 3D one, which is the fries.

However, Ms. Anis kept helping me of what is the most effective ways to make the metamorphosis. I thought of using Photoshop but Ms. Anis said it's very frame to frame. then she recommended me to use Adobe Illustrator and Adobe After Effects.

18.10.19 - 05.12.19 (Week 8 - Week 16)



Chocolate to Fries Metamorphosis
Final Outcome

As the final outcome is done, I asked the lecturers what they think about it. Ms. Anis said it's already good and I don't need to change anything. Mr. Hezrey also said so, he said that it's already very okay. And so I just needed to compile my work with the others works. However there might be some problems in compiling because everyone's sizes is different and it made the compilation looks very messy, in my opinion.


Metamorphosis Final Compilation



Here is the Google Drive Link for full compilation:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17dBHX0Ono--ms_ZtYqAmDlcxxuRunK9r




REFLECTION

EXPERIENCES

Throughout this project, we faced a lot of trouble such as clashing times and some students couldn't proceed without the others have done their work. It was really about time management for this project. When one is late to submit their work, it will be very hard for the other people. And when we don't do work as consistent as the others, it will also made it difficult to work on it.

OBSERVATIONS

I have observed the seniors works and our badges works. I felt like there is the difference but there's also similarities. The concept and metamorphosis are there, but there were too many inconsistent morphing in the video which made it look messy. There's also no sound which made it just "okay", and not that entertaining. However, I love how our badges put colours that made our illustrations alive.

FINDINGS

I found out that in morphing something, we need to breakdown first of how we want to change the things we want to change. After that, we just need to put frames in between and made the animation smoother. The satisfaction will be there when we succeeded in morphing the things.

Comments

Popular Posts