ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - EXERCISE


02.04.19 - X/X/19 (Week 1 - Week X)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Advanced Typography

Exercise



LECTURES

Lecture 1

02.04.19 (Week 1)

For this week, we were only briefed about the MIB and our first exercise about "8 Typography Systems". We were told to sketch 2 designs for each system, so in total there are 16 sketches that we have to make.

We were told we can digitalise the sketches in In Design, but that was optional. The lecturers explained to us what should we do if we want to do it in In Design, such as: the page will be 200 mm x 200 mm, 4 columns, how to make margins, etc.

To learn more about this material, we needed to make 5 presentation slide of the "8 Typography Systems" to present it next week to the class. Me and my group (Andrea, Catherine, Maydeline, and Rachel) were in charge to explain about 'Transitional' system.

Lecture 2

09.04.19 (Week 2)

This is my group's presentation slides about "Transitional" system and other  systems:
Organised by: Andrea Vie Choong.



Lecture 3

16.04.19 (Week 3)

There are no lectures this week. We continued our "8 Typography Systems" work.

Lecture 4

23.04.19 (Week 4)

For this week's lecture, it was about the Compressed History of Roman Alphabet which is explained by Aaron's group.



Lecture 5

30.04.19 (Week 5)

There's no lecture for this week's class.



INSTRUCTIONS

Module Information Booklet (MIB)





EXERCISES

Exercise 1

02.04.19 - 16.04.19 (Week 1 - Week 3)

For this week, I was still halfway in doing the sketches for the first exercise. However I showed it to Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul to get feedbacks.

Here are my sketches:


Fig 1.1 
Dilatational Version 1 and Version 2


Fig 1.2
Axial Version 1 and Version 2


Fig 1.3
Radial Version 1 and Version 2


Fig 1.4
Rough Sketches

16.04.19 (Week 3)

For week 3, we all need to already printed the thumbnails and received feedbacks for our digitalised 16 typography systems.

Here are my works before feedbacks:



In order:
  1. Dilatational
  2. Axial
  3. Radial
  4. Random
  5. Modular
  6. Transitional
  7. Bilateral
  8. Grid
After done with digitalising it, we need to make the thumbnail and print it out, so we can see if there's something that we need to change. Because the viewing from screen and when it's printed out, is different.


Fig 1.5
Typography Systems Thumbnail


Here are my works after feedbacks (finalised work):


Fig 1.6
Dilatational
Version 1


Fig 1.7
Dilatational
Version 2


Fig 1.8
Axial
Version 1


Fig 1.9
Axial
Version 2


Fig 2.0
Radial
Version 1


Fig 2.1
Radial
Version 2


Fig 2.2
Random
Version 1


Fig 2.3
Random
Version 2


Fig 2.4
Modural
Version 1


Fig 2.5
Modural
Version 2


Fig 2.6
Transitional
Version 1


Fig 2.7
Transitional
Version 2


Fig 2.8
Bilateral
Version 1


Fig 2.9
Bilateral
Version 2


Fig 3.0
Grid
Version 1


Fig 3.1
Grid
Version 2

Thumbnails:



In orders:
  1. Dilatational
  2. Axial
  3. Radial
  4. Random
  5. Modular
  6. Transitional
  7. Bilateral
  8. Grid
Exercise 2 - Part 1

16.04.19 - 30.04.19 (Week 3 - Week 4)

For the second exercise, we were told to take a picture, dissect it, and find 5 letters to make typefaces.


Fig 3.2
U-Residence and Ruemz Hotel


Fig 3.3
Ruemz Hotel Window


Fig 3.4
Image + Tracing


Fig 3.5
Final Outcome of Tracing

After this, I created red outlines for the letters that I have found.


Fig 3.6
Letter "Q"


Fig 3.7
Letter "O"


Fig 3.8
Letter "T"


Fig 3.9
Letter "I"


Fig 4.0
Letter "J"

Since the letters are a bit tilted, I started to refine them.



Fig 4.1
First Refine


Fig 4.2
Bold Coloured Refine

Since I think the letters were too simple, I suddenly thought of making them into 3D. 


Fig 4.3
Second Refine





Fig 4.4
Second Refine (2)




Fig 4.5
Third Refine




Fig 4.6
Final Outcome of Refining

Exercise 2 - Part 2

30.04.19 (Week 5)

For this exercise, we needed to choose any image and pick our own words for our work. This exercise was about text-image interplay which means texts and images needs to be in one unity as we express it.




Fig 4.6
Lemons

At first, I wanted to make beverage advertisement text-image interplay of lemon squash.

Fig 4.7
First Attempt

However, Mr. Vinod said that it's still a long way to go and not expressive. So I tried to create another work.


Fig 4.8
Antique Pocket Watch

This time, I picked a picture of antique pocket watch.


Fig 4.9
Second Attempt

When I asked for feedback from Mr. Vinod, he said that I need to compare and contrast my work with the examples from module information booklet (MIB), which is it is a very unacceptable work.

I was running out of ideas back then, so I looked at the others' works. Most of my friends are doing dancing interplay. So, I researched more into it. Since it's about dancing, I got inspired by a TV show "Asia's Next Top Model Season, Episode 9: The Girl Who Flew to The Top" when the models are at Acro Polates, Singapore. The photoshoot they were doing was done on air.



Fig 5.0
Asia's Next Top Model Season 3
My Favourite Photoshoots

Then, I opened Pinterest and looked for image interplay preferences to find a way in doing my work.


Fig 5.1
Text-Image Interplay Preferences

After seeing those preferences, I suddenly got an idea of what to do and searched for pictures that could help my work. I noticed that I should download same style dancers.

My Chosen Words:
"Contemporary Dance 2019, Taylor's University"




Fig 5.2
Pictures for My Work


Fig 5.3
Masking Process
Picture for "2"


Fig 5.4
Masking Process
Picture for "0"


Fig 5.5
Masking Process
Picture for "1"


Fig 5.6
Masking Process
Picture for "9"

I masked all the dancing pictures in Adobe Photoshop and make it into png, then I imported them into Adobe Illustrator. I could have masked them in Adobe Illustrator, but the deadline was drawing near, so I chose the faster way. I added the "Contemporary Dance" and "Taylor's University" at top and below corners. And I also used layers and eraser tool to make my work.


Fig 5.7
Third Attempt

I sent this to Mr. Vinod for feedbacks and here is my final attempt:


Fig 5.8
Final Attempt



FEEDBACKS

02.04.19 (Week 1)

There was no feedback this week.

09.04.19 (Week 2)

For the sketches, Mr. Vinod told me they were good. But he told me not to draw very detailed and complicated ones, because it took up most of my time.

16.04.19 (Week 3)

First feedbacks:

Dilatational V2: Mr. Vinod said that there are some parts where audience couldn't read clearly. I should change the text into grey fill and no outline.

Modular V1: I first didn't know how to make modular, but when I separate the modular in 4 parts, Mr. Vinod likes it. He told me to add a box to highlight one of the information.

Modular V2: For the second version, I added the non-objective elements, which Mr. Vinod said they are not needed. Because if I want to go for the circle, then that means, the circles, won't be non-objective elements anymore, but as part of the structure.

Second feedbacks:

Mr. Vinod seems satisfied with my work when I showed him that I had fixed parts he told me to change. I filled grey colour for the "dilatational" and erased the outline. For the "modular" I kind of put 3 grey boxes and Mr. Vinod told me to just put one grey outline box to highlight the information below. I also erased the circles for the second version of modular. But from all, it seems that Mr. Vinod likes my first version of "random" work the most.

23.04.19 (Week 4)

Specific Feedback: Mr. Vinod said that I need to make the dilatational systems a little bit more loose. Give some space to the words and letters. The designs of all systems are all good and interesting. But, I should pay more attention to the letters, not making them stick to each other. Overall, Mr. Vinod also said that I have done a good job and that I have understand the 8 systems very well. For my e-portfolio, Mr. Shamsul said that I have to re-organize it a bit more.

30.04.19 (Week 5)

General Feedback: For the next exercise, Mr. Vinod told us to deconstruct and introduce characteristics of the images that we chose to our work.

Specific feedback: For the 5 letters typefaces exercise, Mr. Vinod said that my works are interesting, even though I might have refined it too much. And Mr. Vinod said that I should only have one layer of shadow for each of my typefaces. I needed to change the 3 layers of shadow/lines into 1 shadow. And for the 3rd exercise, I still have a long way to go. The lecturers said I need to make it more expressive.

Online Feedbacks:

Second Attempt Work:
Shaking head side-to-side. Please compare and contrast what you have done with the examples in the brief.

Third Attempt Work:
The work is exquisite, the interplay between image and text is pronounced and enhanced. Please make the image and text larger within the given space. Delete the logo. Bring the contemporary dance closer to the artwork. Nice. Good job Helen! Ensure to upload the process onto your e-portfolio.



REFLECTION


EXPERIENCES

02.04.19 (Week 1)

Because this is the first day we got into the class, Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul didn't really give us assignments, just a brief of the MIB and our first exercise. Maybe it's a warm up for week 2.

09.04.19 (Week 2)

Since I only got halfway doing the sketches, I was quite panicking. I haven't really understand fully about other systems that I haven't done yet. So for this week's class, I only searched for preferences and look at my friends' other works since I'm at a dead-end.

16.04.19 (Week 3)

For this week, I have finished digitalising all 16 systems (of course, by putting up all-nighters).  When I showed Mr. Vinod my results, some were okay, but some also needs some fixation. He explained to me about modular, bilateral, and grid very patiently, and when I still couldn't understand, Mr. Vinod taught me directly on In Design. I was really panic and excited at the same time.

After I'm done and printed the work in thumbnail, I showed it to Mr. Vinod for revision. When he doesn't say much, only 3 systems that still needs to be fixed, I was very relieved. Because the deadline is tonight and if I still couldn't get my work done, I'll be really stressed out. Luckily, When I showed Mr. Vinod the final outcome, he's satisfied. And that's when I know I finished my work by the end of the class.

23.04.19 (Week 4)

Since I already asked for feedbacks last week, there weren't many revision that I needed to make. Mr. Vinod was quite satisfied that I have done a good job in understanding the 8 systems and that I made interesting designs. Mr. Vinod also said that my 5 letters typefaces designs are interesting.

30.04.19 (Week 5)

For this week's class was quite stressful. Not only we need to finish the 2nd exercise, we needed to make the 3rd exercise as well, which is quite challenging for me. My 3rd exercise wasn't really expressive and I was running out of time. Even though Mr. Vinod gave another 7 days to finish the exercises, I prefer to finish it in class.

Even though Mr. Vinod gave us another 7 days to do the work, it was quite stressful in doing the text-image interplay exercise, especially when my works were still rejected. I was very lucky when I researched into new theme about dancing, because not long after, my work got approved although I still need to change some parts. I was really happy when Mr. Vinod accepted my work.

OBSERVATIONS

02.04.19 (Week 1)

At first I was confused, because I need to use typography systems, which is very new to me. I usually just illustrate or draw or sketch something freely, but now I need to follow the rules of the systems. Rather than being confused all the time, I tried to see some illustrations for preferences and it gave me ideas what I can do to implement it in the systems.

09.04.19 (Week 2)

I realised that in doing this exercise, the systems could use alignment and hierarchy each differently. That should be my work as a designer to figure out how to use each characteristics of each systems to produce a good work.

16.04.19 (Week 3)

I observed how uniques my friends's works are. They use the same rules, but they execute their designs differently from mine. So, when looking at others works, I learned some things.

23.04.19 (Week 4)

I saw the others are still having problems with their 8 systems, but they all have done it at noon. And with the lecture over, we moved on to the 2nd exercise. Each of the students' works are different, and I feel like if I keep looking at other people's work, I might not going to finished mine.

30.04.19 (Week 5)

I observed how Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul helped me in doing my letters typefaces. It was a new method for me, so it was quite difficult and confusing. But thanks to their help, I managed to finish my 2nd exercise in time. I also saw the others' works for the 3rd exercise, and most of them are more expressive than mine, so I was quite panicking.

I knew what to do after observing most of my friends' works. Since I had difficulties before, I really observed their works really closely. What is it the works that they did until got approved by Mr. Vinod? Then I got an idea after researching more.

FINDINGS

02.04.19 (Week 1)

I found out that I can't be too focused on the rules of the systems. Try to understand them and try to do all possibilities I could make for this exercise. I needed to be open-minded.

07.04.19 (Week 2)

I found out that there are lots of styles I could put into my works, after seeing my friends' works. I should think of more possibilities that I could do and tried to search for more preferences for inspirations and design the systems in my own style.

16.04.19 (Week 3)

I found out that I could use "Grid" system in other systems like modural and bilateral, thanks to Mr. Vinod's teachings. I could passed this exercise on time.

23.04.19 (Week 4)

I found out more how to do the 8 systems after feedbacks and what I should do for my 2nd exercise.

30.04.19 (Week 5)

I found out how to do a new method in Adobe Illustrator to make the isometric design of my letters typefaces. It was quite challenging, but it was also fun.

I found out that doing the text-image interplay was quite hard. At first, my mind was completely blank of what should I do for my exercise. But then, after observing and researching about the theme that I wanted slowly, take a break and get some fresh air, an idea suddenly came to my mind. Surprisingly, when I worked on the third attempt, I found myself enjoying it. I was quite satisfied with my work and even more satisfied when Mr. Vinod approves.



FURTHER READINGS

Seven Essential Typographic Layout Systems by Lucas Czarnecki

Week 1


For further readings, I didn't find any books in the library since they're all borrowed or reserved. So, I tried to find any websites about the 8 typographic systems that could help me in this exercise. Luckily, I found this website written based on the e-book: "Seven Essential Typographic Layout Systems". Since there were only 7 typographic systems in the book, I needed to find other sources for the 'random'. However, this book really helps me out for this exercise. I recommend everyone to take a look in this book, because it tells us everything we can and can't do in making the typographic systems.

Here is the link to the website: 


Type Object by Barbara Brownie

Week 2




Type Object is an interesting book where the author collects all creations of 3D typography and shows how it could be capable of more than just linguistic signification. What we all see in everyday life is usually typography printed on a paper, which could be pretty boring. But third dimension ones are different. They explore the connections between type and other objects through interaction and duality, extending our understanding of the letterform, its appearance, and its function.

Design: Type: A Seductive Collection of Alluring Type Designs by Paul Burgess / Burge Agency and Tony Seddon

Week 3


I read this book to do my presentation research of "Finding Inspiration: Typeface Design". There are lots of exquisite designs that could be used as inspiration. There are also essays from designers in the field about the essence of creating compelling, communicative designs using typography in myriad ways. Design: Type is the book that made Mr. Vinod said,"Excellent presentation!" to me and my group. I recommend this book to those who wanted to get inspired.

Typography Sketch Books by Steven Heller and Lita Talarico

Week 4



To learn more about hand-lettering typography, I checked out this book and I was astonished when seeing the content. The sketches are originals and this book taught me that typography is simply not just by doing it in digital, but also has various functions in sketches. It is one of the purest forms of design. Whenever I have to find inspiration, I think I will read this book over and over again.

Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles 1901 - 1938

Week 5


This book mostly tells us about the history of typefaces from the year of 1901 until 1938. History could be pretty boring, but this book never bores me even for one second. It is arranged very neatly and very interesting. The quality of the paper, images, and colours are astonishing! There are also 3 different languages to explain the content of the book which is convenient, but also confusing.

Comments

Popular Posts