DESIGN RESEARCH METHODOLOGY - PROPOSAL


03.04.19 - 24.04.19 (Week 1 - Week 4)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Design Research Methodology

Proposal



LECTURES

Lecture 1

03.04.19 (Week 1)

We were given a brief about the MIB and given a task to start our methodology:
  1. Confirm field of interest. Provide rationale (200-300 words), with research evidence.
  2. Establishment of an area of (research problem) where you are interested to conduct research about.
For my field of interest, I first chose illustration, because I love to draw and experiment with everything that is in that field. But then, when I tried to research more, I didn't find the style of illustration that I wanted. Then, I realised that the illustration I liked is anime illustration, which means anime. 

And rather than I worked for printed media or more to graphic design way, I prefer animation more. Animation looks harder than graphic, but the reason why I chose design in the first place is because I wanted to make the impossible to possible. Animating is one of the way to make it come true. That's why, I'd like to stay on this road and choose what I really like.

Finally, for my field of interest, I chose anime/animation and try to research more into it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lecture 2

10.04.19 (Week 2)

For today's class, we learned about how to deepen our field of interest more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lecture 3

17.04.19 (Week 3)

For this week, we just continued our proposal making and consulted to the lecturers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lecture 4

24.04.19 (Week 4)

Ms. Jinchi briefed us about making critical reviews and told us to search for 10 journals.


INSTRUCTIONS

Module Information Booklet (MIB)






PROPOSAL

03.04.19 (Week 1)

1st Draft



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10.04.19 (Week 2)

2nd Draft



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17.04.19 (Week 3)

3rd Draft

For this week, we already need to make the proposal on google slides.






The correct ones are the highlighted yellow words.

Here is the final outcome (PDF):






FEEDBACKS

03.04.19 (Week 1)

I've made a Microsoft Word research problem draft about "How Anime Could Affect Someone's Life". But Dr. Hayati said that it was more into social science, which is more to the works of psychologists, liberal arts, and mass communication. She would like me to do research problem on how the creative media people would do. Research more about the techniques in anime/animation itself, not the society.

10.04.19 (Week 2)

Dr. Hayati said that this one is still too wide, I should narrow it down and just focus what I really wanted to do. And this looks like a statement, not much problem statement could be found here.

17.04.19 (Week 3)

First feedback:

For the 3rd draft, Dr. Hayati said that I need to change the problem statement and mostly everything, because the research topic is not in synched with other things in the slides. She wanted me to create another proposal draft, but don't delete the first one. It is for my reflection. She gave me advice like I need to choose one of the topic that I've wrote, because it was too broad. I might want to choose something between the ineffective story to the animation or storyboards that could not reach the animators, something like that.

Second Feedback:

When I made the 4th draft about hybridity of Japanese and Indonesian style in Wayang, Dr. Hayati likes it. She said I have made a lot of improvements and she likes how I wrote the problem statement. But, there are some changes that I need to make, because some of it are still more to social science. She then suggests me what to write and helped me in finish it. Overall, she accepts my proposal.

24.04.19 (Week 4)

I have tried to fix the parts that Dr. Hayati said were wrong, and when I explained that I have put citations, changed the research question and objective into how creative media students thinks, she seems pleased. However, I'm not very good with words or writing methodologies, so Dr. Hayati helped me by commenting in the google slides to rearrange the words that I wanted to say.



REFLECTION


EXPERIENCES

03.04.19 (Week 1)

We first were just given a lecture to be able to do our first assignment. After that, we were given a task to confirm our field of interest and make a rationale about 200 - 300 words. I looked up to the seniors' blog about design research methodology. And I think I had difficulties to even make the rationale because of blog posts. Because there are such things as research topic, research problem, problem statement, research question, and research objection. When all I had to do was make a rationale about my field of interest.

10.04.19 (Week 2)

I was still caught up with the seniors' blog that I got confused. And no matter how many times I try to consult with the lecturers, I still couldn't get the picture of what I wanted to make. I felt blank and couldn't think of anything for the assignment yet, although I know what I wanted to do. I just need to figure out what I need to do.

17.04.19 (Week 3)

I was still trying to come up with an idea and consulted again to the lecturers. Dr. Hayati wants me to figure and make the proposal on my own, so she never really gave me the answer when I asked. She would tell me indirectly, just to direct me on the right path. I was really frustrated when my proposal got rejected over and over again, but I tried to find a way how to do this. I did it slowly and carefully until my proposal can finally be accepted.

24.04.19 (Week 4)

It was nerve-wrecking when I wanted to ask for feedbacks again, scared that I might done something wrong and I have to do the proposal from the start again. But when I asked for Dr. Hayati's feedback, she only helped me to rearrange the words I wanted to say. She seems satisfied with my proposal and guide me how to make proper methodology with proper words. We also talked a bit in Japanese which is really fun!

OBSERVATIONS

03.04.19 (Week 1)

I observed the others haven't really done anything yet, because we're still in the same boat. We're still confused what is it that we really wanted to do.

10.04.19 (Week 2)

I saw some of my friends already know what they wanted to do and the others still confused. But they mostly had already working on the rationale.

17.04.19 (Week 3)

When I still didn't know what to do and my drafts mostly got rejected, it turns out I'm not the only one who got difficulties. There are a few of my friends that suddenly changed the topic fully from what they had planned before. And there are some who hasn't done anything yet because, they were still confused.

But, rather than just sitting around, doing nothing, and knowing nothing, I started to look up for articles or e-books from Taylor's Library, Google Scholar, and every websites that could help me until my proposal got accepted in the end.

24.04.19 (Week 4)

I saw that there are some of my friends that were still having problems with the proposal, but most of them had already done it, which is a relief. I've taken a look for the 10 journals that I was supposed to make critical reviews of, but still haven't done it because I wanted to focus on the proposal first. Since it's the submission day.

FINDINGS

03.04.19 (Week 1)

I had found out things that I'm interested in, but because I still don't know what to do, I didn't really work on anything.

10.04.19 (Week 2) 

After thinking about it carefully, I found out that I wanted to do animation, because I'm interested in mostly the illustration.

17.04.19 (Week 3)

When I tried to work on the proposal carefully and choosing my topic wisely, Dr. Hayati finally accept my proposal. And I found out that this is how we do methodology. All the hard work pays off.

24.04.19 (Week 4)

I found out and learned many things with Ms. Jinchi and Dr. Hayati about writing methodology. This is how I supposed to do methodology, it's to help me finding and make a plan for solving the problem. It was really stressful, but I found out more interesting things, than the feeling of tiredness.





Comments

Popular Posts