ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 2


21.05.19 - 28.05.19 (Week 8 - Week 9)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Advanced Typography

Project 2



LECTURES

Lecture 8: -

21.05.19 (Week 8)

There was no lecture this week as we continued our key artwork and working on the poster.

Lecture 9: -

28.05.19 (Week 9)

There was no lecture this week as we continued on our collateral design.



INSTRUCTIONS

Module Information Booklet (MIB)





PROJECT 2

21.05.19 (Week 8)

For this week, after doing our key artwork, we moved on to making the poster. Here is the informations that is given:

The Design School,
Taylor’s University

The Troublemakers Manifesto: A Design Colloquium

Open Public Lectures:
November 8, 2019
1030–1100 Ms Liew Pik-Svonn
1105–1135 Ms Ezrena Marwan
1140–1210 Mr Muthu Nedumaran

1400–1430 Ms Suzy Sulaiman
1435–1505 YB Ahmad Fahmi Fadzil
1525–1700 Panel Discussion

Lecture Theatre 12



Fig 1.1
Final Outcome of Key Artwork


Fig 1.2
First Attempt (Before Changing the Artwork)

Mr. Vinod said that the time and names are hard to read, he told me to placed it outside, following the scorpio's tail and make it like a curve.

Fig 1.3
Second Attempt (After Changing the Key Artwork)

Mr. Vinod said I should use leading and paragraph space instead of typing the words one by one and change the paper size into A2.

Fig 1.4
Third Attempt

Mr. Vinod told me to change the font size into 16pt, get rid of the whitespace at the top left, and it's better to make the design colloquium red colour to make it stand out and apart from the key artwork Troublemakers Manifesto.


Fig 1.5
Final Attempt

Here is the PDF final outcome of my poster:





Fig 1.6
Framed Scorpion Poster (White Background)



Fig 1.7
Framed Scorpion Poster (Black Background)
After Feedback


28.05.19 (Week 9)

For the collateral design, we need to choose 2 and I choose to do T-Shirt and Tote bag. For the mockup, I took it from Pinterest.


Fig 1.8
T-Shirt Design


Fig 1.9
Tote Bag Design


Fig 2.0
Chosen Designs and Colour Comparison

I showed the colour comparison to Mr. Vinod, and even though the scorpion in my poster is grey, but Mr. Vinod recommends me to go with the red, because it looks better.


Fig 2.1
Final Outcome of T-Shirt Design
(Front and Back)


Fig 2.2
Final Outcome of Tote Bag Design
(Front and Back)



Fig 2.1
Final Outcome T-Shirt
Model: Ian Chew


Fig 2.3
Final Outcome Totebag
Model: Ian Chew



Fig 2.4
Final Outcome Totebag (2)
Model: Ian Chew

Here is for the microsite, you can take a look at my Interactive Design - Project 2 E-portfolio for more details:


Fig 2.5
Final Outcome of Microsite


Embedded PDF of Microsite



Project 2 - Flat Lay



FEEDBACK

21.05.19 (Week 8)

Specific Feedback: I told Mr. Vinod that I don't want to do my work with the caution/police lines as it is somewhat plagiarism to Nadia's work. Then, I showed him the scorpion idea that I made overnight, but with the same typeface construction. Mr. Vinod said that it's interesting how I can come up with the idea of scorpio and how I made it from stain of brushes. Overall, he commented scorpions are troublemakers with the trait stingy and it's a good thing I come up with an idea on such short notice. I asked if it's an acceptable work and he said yes. Now, I just need to find a way to make the typefaces more readable.

Specific feedback (Friday Consultation): Mr. Vinod said that the work is good and he likes how I put the "MAKERS" into place, but I need to re-arranged the typefaces and figure out how to make it better. I gave my opinion to Mr. Vinod: what if I arrange the U-B-L-E in zig-zag? After I made zig-zag pattern on it, Mr. Vinod said that it was much better. For the poster, Mr. Vinod said that I should put the "A Design Colloquium" at the scorpion's feet.

28.05.19 (Week 9)

General Feedback: Mr. Vinod said to always have the keywords "Troublemakers Manifesto" in every collateral design.

Specific Feedback: I have kind of a lot of trouble in designing the poster, starting from the paper size, the white spaces, and colours pick. However, in the end all my work got accepted and the lecturers prefer red colour for the scorpion on both collateral designs.



REFLECTION

EXPERIENCES

21.05.19 (Week 8)

It was quite stressful when I still couldn't get the plagiarism thing out of my mind, as it's still bothering me, but I'm really relieved when Mr. Vinod accepted my scorpion artwork and he only told me to make a few changes in Friday consultation.

28.05.19 (Week 9)

This week was quite hectic. I haven't done my poster and I need to get both my collateral design done by today. I think I asked the lecturers for feedbacks for 6 or 7 times already, but they kept pointing out my mistakes and make me understand which is wrong and why does it needs to be fixed. Fortunately, I could get them all done by the end of the class.

OBSERVATIONS

21.05.19 (Week 8)

I saw my friends' works also still not done yet, and we were all being chased by time, as if telling us to hurry and speed up the pace. Even though I have observed my friends and my seniors' works, I'm still panicking whether my work will be accepted or not.

28.05.19 (Week 9)

Most of my friends have already done their poster and I really like Tamara, Rausha, Indira and Maydeline's work. They all looked so good for me and I tried to learn from them while making my poster and collateral designs.

FINDINGS

21.05.19 (Week 8)

I found out where I did my mistakes after receiving feedbacks from Mr. Vinod. My key artwork and poster still lacks of readability and Mr. Vinod taught me how to make it right.

28.05.19 (Week 9)

While making the poster and collateral designs, I now learned and kind of found out the placements of the design I should place, hierarchy, and colour pick. If it weren't for asking feedbacks so many times in the class, I wouldn't have done my work in time and I still wouldn't know where I did wrong.



FURTHER READINGS

21.05.19 (Week 8)28.05.19 (Week 9)

Design: Type: A Seductive Collection of Alluring Type Designs by Paul Burgess / Burge Agency and Tony Seddon


I read this book again for my project 2, just for scanning reading because I was in need of inspiration that time. And because I had read this book to do my exercise type play part 2, I feel like I don't really need to read all of the content of this book again, since I also had made summaries from it.

Comments

Popular Posts