ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 1


07.05.19 - 21.05.19 (Week 6 - Week 8)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Advanced Typography

Project 1



LECTURES

Lecture 6

07.05.19 (Week 6)

For this week's lecture, it was about Finding Inspiration: Typeface Design that is presented by me and my group.



Lecture 7

14.05.19 (Week 7)

For the next lecture, another group presented by Maydeline's group is about Designing Type: Thinking Before Drawing.


Lecture 8: -

21.05.19 (Week 8)

There was no lecture this week as we continue on our project 1.



INSTRUCTIONS

Module Information Booklet (MIB)





PROJECT 1

07.05.16 (Week 6)

After doing the interplay exercise, Mr. Vinod said we needed to move on to working on project 1. For this project, we have to make a key artwork using these words:


The Design School,
Taylor’s University

The Troublemakers Manifesto: A Design Colloquium
Open Public Lectures:
November 8, 2019
1030–1100 Ms Liew Pik-Svonn
1105–1135 Ms Ezrena Marwan
1140–1210 Mr Muthu Nedumaran

1400–1430 Ms Suzy Sulaiman 
1435–1505 YB Ahmad Fahmi Fadzil
1525–1700 Panel discussion

Lecture Theatre 12

Because it is about "troublemakers", the first thought that came into my mind is about street dancers, street thugs, or rebellion teens like the movie Step Up: Revolution.



Fig 1.1
Preferences


14.05.19 (Week 7)


At first, I decided to go with these pictures and combine them together.



Fig 1.2
Chosen Pictures

Fig 1.3
Final Picture

Then, I started to apply the typefaces.





Fig 1.4
First Attempt

For troublemakers, I was thinking to add something like caution lines/ police lines on the typefaces to show people ..."don't cross the lines if you don't want to get into any trouble with the troublemakers..." and I was more sure of doing it because the senior's last work: Khaira Nadia was about caution lines as well. Since I thought it's allowed and I also got inspired from it, I wanted to try to apply it on my "Troublemakers".

After I made the picture's opacity into maximum, I was suddenly become unsure with my work. The picture might be already black and white, but the caution lines typefaces are hard to read. I showed this to the lecturers and they said the same thing. Then, Mr. Vinod suggests me to delete the picture and the caution lines.


Fig 1.5
First Attempt Typeface Construction (No Picture)

Since Mr. Vinod said the construction of the typefaces itself is already interesting, he told me to continue working with it and add the caution lines outside the typefaces.



Fig 1.6
Second Attempt Sketch

I printed the construction of the typefaces and sketch the caution lines by myself and digitalised it later.


Fig 1.7
Second Attempt

When I tried to ask for feedbacks, Mr. Vinod said to make the caution lines inside the artwork and make them connected to each other, but leave one or two lines broken. The troublemakers signature will be about them ripping or breaking the caution lines.

I just needed to tidy the caution lines and do what Mr. Vinod said, but the more I think about it, Mr. Vinod was kind of suggesting me to follow Khaira Nadia's work. I kept arguing with myself for a whole week if what i'm doing is plagiarism or not. Then the night before class starts, I came up with a backup plan.


21.05.19 (Week 8)



Fig 1.8
Constellation Preference

I was kind of looking into star constellation design like the picture above, so that I may be able to implement it on my typeface construction. However, I got distracted with the twelve zodiac and accidentally found articles about zodiacs' traits.



Fig 1.9
Aries and Scorpio Article and People's Opinions

Based on the articles, it turns out that Aries and Scorpio are the most natural troublemakers, but in different ways. Aries has a way to do whatever it takes to reach their goal, but Scorpio would find a way to be heard: exactly the troublemakers trait I was looking for. That's why I chose the idea of Scorpio to be my backup plan.


Fig 2.0
Traced Scorpion for Troublemakers

I searched for an image at Pinterest, then I traced it in Illustrator and I put rough brush effect. After that, I combine the traced-scorpion with my troublemaker typeface instruction.


Fig 2.1
Third Attempt

The next day, I told Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul that I don't want to continue my previous work because I think it is plagiarism. Mr. Vinod understands and he said it's good how I can come up with Scorpio idea on such short notice. Mr. Shamsul also agrees with my new idea. They told me to avoid black background and make the typefaces more readable.


Fig 2.2
Process of Typeface Construction

I asked Mr. Vinod for the last feedback and here is my final attempt:


Fig 2.3
Final Attempt Scorpio Troublemakers Work




Embedded PDF of Project 1: Key Artwork



FEEDBACKS

07.05.19 (Week 6)

General and specific feedback (to me and my group): Excellent presentation! The previous batch was also doing it, but nothing as good as yours.

14.05.19 (Week 7)

General Feedback: Mr. Vinod told us how to make the project 1, which is we have to understand what troublemakers are in our opinion. The image and definition must be clear in our mind in order to implement it in our design.

Specific feedback: Mr. Vinod said my work has interesting construction. Delete the image, because the design itself is already interesting. And if I want to put a police cross-line in my work, make it in one paperwork and as if the lines are being trespassed by the troublemakers.

21.05.19 (Week 8)

Specific Feedback: I told Mr. Vinod that I don't want to do my work with the caution/police lines as it is somewhat a plagiarism to Nadia's work. Then, I showed him the scorpion idea that I made overnight, but with the same typeface construction. Mr. Vinod said that it's interesting how I can come up with the idea of scorpion and how I made it from stain of brushes. Overall, he commented scorpions are troublemakers with the trait stingy and it's a good thing I come up with an idea on such short notice. I asked if it's an acceptable work and he said yes. Now, I just need to find a way to make the typefaces more readable.

Specific Feedback (Friday Consultation): Mr. Vinod said that the work is good and he likes how I put the "MAKERS" into place, but I need to re-arranged the typefaces and figure out how to make it better. I gave my opinion to Mr. Vinod; what if I arrange the U-B-L-E in zig-zag? After I made zig-zag pattern on it, Mr. Vinod said that it was much better. For the poster, Mr. Vinod said that I should put the "A Design Colloquium" at the scorpion's feet.



REFLECTIONS

EXPERIENCES

07.05.19 (Week 6)

When Mr. Vinod gave us a really good feedback for me and my group, we were so happy. Besides all the hard-work that pays off, we also learned more knowledge to help us in designing our assignments. So it was a really nice experience and I hope I can improve more by learning from my group mates.

14.05.19 (Week 7)

It was pretty fun trying to design the troublemakers from street dancers or rebellion teens, but when Mr. Vinod's suggestion is heading towards the work of my senior's, I become panicked and have this uneasy feelings.

21.05.19 (Week 8)

I was really glad that I changed the past idea into Scorpio. My work is acceptable and I just needed to change a few things in here and there. The lecturer told me to proceed with the idea.


OBSERVATIONS

07.05.19 (Week 6)

I circled around the class to take a look at my friends' work and ideas about the project 1 to give me inspiration and to see if their ideas are the same as mine.

14.05.19 (Week 7)

It turns out that none of my friends have the same idea as mine, but I saw that they too already have done their work and some were still in process.

21.05.19 (Week 8)

I observed more closely on what Mr. Vinod meant about troublemakers since I wanted to change my idea. Then, after I found the articles and people's opinions from different sources, it makes me more sure to just give it a go on my new idea.

FINDINGS

07.05.19 (Week 6)

I found out that a good presentation is the result of the research that we have done and the clear explanations, so that the people will get what we're trying to say.

14.05.19 (Week 7)

After thinking about it further, I found out that maybe what I'm doing is wrong. Even though it could be a different idea and not included in plagiarism, I still feel it's not right. I should move on and come up with a new idea.

21.05.19 (Week 8)

After a few feedbacks, I noticed that what my work lacks is the readability. I needed to fix it and make it more legible.



FURTHER READINGS

07.05.19 (Week 6)

For this week, I didn't really read any books and just looking for references from Google and Pinterest and also the seniors' blogs.

14.05.19 (Week 7) - 21.05.19 (Week 8)


In order for me to come up with the Scorpion idea, I needed to look up at some forums about zodiac signs and so those were my further readings for project 1.



Comments

Popular Posts