INFORMATION DESIGN - PROJECT 1


14.01.19 - 15.02.19 (Week 2 - Week 6)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Information Design

Project 1

Recipe Infographics - Poster and Video



LECTURES

Lectures 5: Miller's Law (Chunking)

17.01.19 ( Week 2)

For this lecture, we were told to make a slide about "Chunking". Chunking is a simple and easier way for audience to understand about design and the lecturers wanted us to learn about it and share it with the class.






Lecture 6: Isometric Design

29.01.19 (Week 4)

After we came back from Kuching, we started the class with "Isometric Design" lecture. This is the first time I heard about isometric Design, usually I just saw them around the city, but that's all. Fortunately, after making the presentation slides for this lecture, I could learn and apply isometric on my exercises and projects.





INSTRUCTIONS


Module Information Booklet (MIB)





PROJECT 1: Recipe Infographic (Grilled Cheese)

Poster

17.01.19 (Week 2)

For this project, we need to make a recipe poster and I chose to make "Grilled Cheese". I took this recipe from my friend back at my country.


Fig 1.1
Grilled Cheese Recipe Sketch

I didn't have any preferences since I just drew what I had in my imagination.

Here are the steps of how to make it:
  1. Prepare a loaf of bread.
  2. Cut the bread into slices.
  3. Spread butter on both sides of the bread.
  4. Place the cheese on top of the butter.
  5. Put another slice of bread on top of the cheese.
  6. Grilled the bread on the heated pan. Wait for 2-3 minutes.
  7. Flip the bread to the other side once the colour is golden-brownish. Wait for another 2-3 minutes.
  8. Serve the grilled cheese on the plate once it's done.
  9. Tips: Best to eat it while it's hot.
After that, I moved on to illustrate them in Adobe Illustrator.


Fig 1.1
First Attempt Grilled Cheese Recipe Poster

At first, I wanted to make the poster have white and yellow background, but when I take a look at it more, I don't like it. Suddenly, I just tried changing the colour and come up with chalkboard theme with woods texture for the edges.


Fig 1.2
Second Attempt of Grilled Cheese Recipe Poster

Once I'm done, I asked for feedbacks to ms. Anis. These are the things that she said:
  1. The "RECIPE" title is too big that it stole the attention from the "GRILLED CHEESE" itself.
  2. The placement of orders are too messy, readers could get confused when reading it.
  3. The instructions that I made was too complicated, I should make it more simple and easier to understand.
  4. The drawings are also a bit confusing, I should use isometric design in some parts.
  5. Even though I've made some mistakes, she said it was a nice first try. The chalkboard and the woods surrounding it clearly speaks that it's a "cafe" theme.


Fig 1.3
Third Attempt Grilled Cheese Recipe Poster

I tried changing the order of the numbers, but it still doesn't feel right for me. And I also needed to change the instructions and change some drawings into isometric design.

So, I changed mostly all of them and added some details.


Fig 1.4
Final Outcome of Grilled Cheese Recipe



Recipe Video

27.02.19 (Week 4)

After done with the poster, I moved on and make the recipe video. 


Fig 1.5
Grilled Cheese Recipe Outlines

I checked YouTube videos of how to make something as if the chalks are really forming the drawings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link of the YouTube tutorial video that helped me in making the chalk animation:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I removed all the colours of the poster and left it with only the outlines. I made white outlines to make it clearly that it was made with chalks. After that, I import the file into Adobe After Effects and start animating it.


Fig 1.6
Grilled Cheese Recipe Process

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link for the final outcome of my recipe video:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------








Comments

Popular Posts