ANIMATION FUNDAMENTALS - PROJECT 3


29.10.19 - 05.12.19 (Week 10 - Week 16)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Animation Fundamentals

Project 3 - Character Design and Walk Cycle



PROJECT 3: CHARACTER DESIGN

01.11.19 (Week 10)

For Mr. Hezrey's class, we need to make character design and make about 6 to 8 frames for the character turn around. For my character, I chose to do my character design from Film Studies and Cinematography module: Tachibana Hina.



Fig 1.1
Character Design Turn Around Outline (8 Frames)
Tachibana Hina

08.11.19 (Week 11)

The next week I showed to Mr. Hezrey, he said it's alright and it's good. He saw my walk cycle and he was quite worried that it might be too challenging for me to animate, since my character has many details or lines. But if I want to go with it, then it's okay. I now just need to colour all the 8 frames of my character design drawing.





Fig 1.2
Character Design Turn Around Coloured (8 Frames)
Tachibana Hina


Fig 1.3
Character Design Turn Around Outline


Fig 1.4 
Character Design Turn Around Coloured



PROJECT 3: WALK CYCLE

29.10.19 (Week 10)

For this week, we learned about walk cycle. We learned about storyboard, secondary action, and turn around. Also how making walk cycle is blocking out of the animation like a storyboard. We needed to come up with a character and what kind of walk cycle we wanted to do. We were not allowed to make a simple and mainstream walk cycle, but a unique and exaggerated ones.

As my character is from Film Studies and Cinematography story, I picked one of the characteristic of the main character (Tachibana Hina) and chose a somewhat-avoiding-puddles-walk-cycle as one of the scene was raining and stormy. I had some difficulties in demonstrating the walk as my character Hina is a 9 years old girl, but Ms. Anis really helped me out back then. Also, all of the students in the class were all having fun seeing how unique each of our walk were.


Fig 1.5
Walk Cycle Video


Fig 1.6
Walk Cycle Skeleton

After I made the skeleton, Ms. Anis told me to proceed with the character turn around first and ask Mr Hezrey to teach us in the tutorial class of how to make the walk cycle. When Mr. Hezrey saw my skeleton, he said that I should just forget about it if it makes me confused. 

He told me to just straight away draw one of the leg in 5 frames and after that, flip the drawings.


Fig 1.7
Character Design Walk Cycle Final

Since my character is avoiding puddles, I should made it like she's being careful and watch where she stepped on. That's why I made the movement a bit slow and not too fast.



Here is my Google Drive Link for full compilation:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17dBHX0Ono--ms_ZtYqAmDlcxxuRunK9r




REFLECTION

EXPERIENCES

In making the character turn around and walk cycle was honestly the one of the most challenging task in Animation Fundamentals. Since I made my character a bit too complicated, I took quite some time in drawing and colouring it.

I was doing fine in making the walk cycle, but I felt like I might actually need to add more frames to make it smoother. However, I was short in time and I needed to finish my walk cycle quickly.

OBSERVATIONS

I tried to observe walk cycle made by animators in YouTube, and I learned a few basic things that helped me in making the third project. I saw the seniors and my friends works, and they're all cute and unique. If only I had more time, I would love to fix my walk cycle into a really good animation as I'm kind of curious of the final result if I can really do it.

FINDINGS

I found out that in making a character turn around, I need to make frames with various angles and make it 360 degrees. It helped me in making animation so that I wouldn't lost directions in making the characters. It is to keep me from going off-road and make different face of character, which will resulted confusion towards the audience.










Comments

Popular Posts