SONIC DESIGN - PROJECT 2



09.06.2020 - 23.06.2020 (Week 9 - Week 11)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Sonic Design

Project 2 - Audio Storytelling



Module Information Booklet (MIB)
 


Week 9

For our second project, Mr. Razif said that we have to find a story, pick a storyline, and figure out the sounds. He showed us the previous seniors' works about Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast and how they recorded their own voice to narrate the story of the fairytales. They also used sound effects and background music to make the project complete.

At first, I thought of wanting to do a Japan fairy tale and found 3 of them:


Children of God


Tanabata


Momotaro

But when I see the duration of the videos, it took about a minimum of 5 minutes and a maximum of 10 minutes. So I tried asking Mr. Razif again to make sure and he said I can only do the project 1.5 minutes - 2 minutes. If more than that a bit then it's alright, but try not to make it too long.

After that, I kept looking for other short fairy tales that might could be told in more or less 2 minutes' time. Suddenly, I thought of an existing Russian history about Grand Duchess Anastasia as a Romanov Royal Family that is counted for one of the unsolved problems in the world. It is called that because until now, people did not know if the Grand Duchess escaped the catastrophe that happened to her and her family or that she died on that night of the assassination.

An animation studio has already made an animation of it, so instead of picking a visual storybook, I chose to do an animation audio storytelling.

I looked up at Wikipedia and the animation made by Don Bluth and Gary Goldman in association with Fox Animation Studios, they are telling quite the same story. So I tried to seek a website that actually shares the dialogue script the animation film has. 

Here is Anastasia (1997) script:

https://transcripts.fandom.com/wiki/Anastasia


The script was actually for the whole film, so I only took the prologue part. Since the one speaking the whole story was the Grand Duchess's Royal Grandmother, it was the first storytelling point of view. I then modified the script into the third point of view, which is mine. I will post the script by the end of the blog.

I also took the HD video from this link:


Week 10

I showed Mr. Razif of my recorded audio of how I narrated the story, the duration took about 2 minutes and a half. Mr. Razif told me I should make the pacing faster and there are wrong word pronunciations such as confidant and czar. (Sorry for my bad English lol)

Fig 1.1
#1 Attempt Recorded Audio
Noise Reduction

Week 11

I then showed Mr. Razif my first attempt in having the recorded narrated audio story combined with the film animation. Also, I already added sound effects and background music for it. I forgot how to input a video into Adobe Audition so I edited the sounds one by one. I mostly edited the voices in Audition for Nicholas and Rasputin's voices. I could not possibly make them talk in a girl's voice.


Fig 1.2
Nicholas Recorded Audio
Noise Reduction and Pitch Shifter


Fig 1.3
Rasputin Recorded Audio
Pitch Shifter and Parametic Equalizer

After that, I moved them to Adobe Premiere Pro. I realized that most of the sound effects and music did not need to be edited like the dialogue voices in Audition, so I just input and rearrange most of them in Premiere.

Mr. Razif said that there were certain parts that I can highlight, for example like the chandelier. Try to look more at the visuals and pay attention to the parts that need to be highlighted. The lecturer also suggested me to change the stepping on glass sound and he said the rest is okay.

Here is the background music I have used in my audio storytelling. It was from the animation film itself:


Anastasia Prologue BGM

Week 12

After I'm done revising everything, I then submitted my work, and here is my final outcome:


Anastasia (1997)

As promised, here is the third point of view script I have made myself:

Anastasia

There was a time, not very long ago when a family lived in an enchanted world of elegant palaces and grand parties. 

The year was 1916 and Nicholas, was the Czar of Imperial Russia.

The people were celebrating the three hundredth anniversary of the royal family's rule. And that night, no star burned brighter than that of the sweet Anastasia, youngest granddaughter of Romanov's family.

However, a dark shadow had descended upon the house of the Romanovs. His name was Rasputin. They thought he was a Holy Man. But he was a fraud, power-mad and dangerous.

"How dare you return to the Palace!" said Nicholas.

"But I am your confidante," defended Rasputin.

Nicholas didn't but it and shooed Rasputin away. "Confidante? Ha! You are a traitor. Get out!!"

However, this angers Rasputin. "You think you can banish the Great Rasputin? By the unholy powers vested in me. I banish you with a curse! Mark my words. You and your family will die within the fortnight. I will not rest until I see the END OF THE ROMANOV LINE FOREVER!

From that moment on, the spark of unhappiness in the country was fanned into a flame and so many lives were destroyed that night. What had always been was now gone forever. And Anastasia, the last bloodline of the Romanov family has never been seen again.

- The End -



REFLECTIONS 

EXPERIENCES 

It was actually a really fun experience when I was working on this project. I love stories and being able to produce my own version of storytelling was really great. Of course, the story was a little dark and tragedy ones, unlike the real animation film where Anastasia got a happy ending and my created version was like the real history itself.

I have always been impressed with this movie and I love a story that has a history. It makes the whole film really curious and interesting to watch. Even though the rendering and uploading took like ages, but I'm content with the final result.

OBSERVATIONS 

I really did so many observations in working on this project. Mr. Razif said since my audio storytelling is an animation-based, I would have to pay attention to every detail of where to put the appropriate sounds. I also double-checked the script and everything by looking at the history of Russian Romanov Royal Family in Wikipedia and other websites, so that I would not tell the wrong information.

FINDINGS

I found out very interesting truth and history of The Grand Duchess Anastasia while reading several websites. I also got my observation keener on putting sounds and background music. I also found out that recording our own narrated voice in storytelling could be a little embarrassing, but I'm glad that I did it. The people who listened to my works said that I did a good job of being a voice-actor and good American-English pronunciation, but I wonder if I'm that good haha.

Comments

Popular Posts