MOTION GRAPHIC AND COMPOSITING - PROJECT 2


04.05.20 - 01.06.20 (Week 4 - Week 9)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Motion Graphic and Compositing

Project 2 - Channel Bumper



Module Information Booklet (MIB)




Week 4

After we were done with our project 1, Mr. Fauzi gave us a lecture and tutorial of how to do kinetic typography. H explained to us that we're going to make a channel bumper which is a logo advertising, and that is why he wants us to be familiar with animating typefaces.




Kinetic Typography Tutorial


But before we move on to our actual project 2, Mr. Fauzi gave us an exercise which is to produce a digital collage made with elements he had provided. Since before we made it the traditional way, now we're doing it in Adobe Photoshop. Here are the elements that are given:


Elements for Digital Collage

We were given a task to make 3 different compositions and we're free to choose any elements as long as they are the ones provided. I then made 3 distinctive artworks and to see how Mr. Fauzi will comment on my works.


3 Compositions of Digital Collage

For the first composition, I used 5 elements in it; newspaper, fish, rubber plant, building, and fencer. First, I cut the newspaper into a round shape and put it as the background. Second, I mask the building and put it at the center while also applying layer effects into it so I could make the fish's tail visible. After that, I cut the rubber plant from its original form and relocates them. Lastly, the fencer acts as the last touch as in cherry on top.

The second composition, which I called 'Shark Collage' is purely black and white except for the shark itself. I saw the building elements I chose were mostly in black and white, so this suddenly gave me an idea to make all in the same color tone. The story of this collage is somewhat a very surrealistic kind of thing. the buildings are acting as the real city in our world, and the shark is on top of it with the sandy background behind it, to show that the shark is swimming above the cities. The background might have something to do with Aurora.

The last composition, I chose to do it with a grunge background (which is so unlike me because I am not too familiar with retro kind of style. But to add something that I'm comfortable with, I chose to put the type machine and fishes and rubber plants to bring more life and color to it. And for the final touch, since there is a type machine lying in there, I thought of putting newspaper scattered on my artworks, which turns the collage a vintage style.

Week 5

I showed the collages to Mr. Fauzi in the next class and he asked me which collage that I like the most. To be honest, my 3 works have very different styles, so I like each and every one of them. Then Mr. Fauzi suggested me to do the first artwork (which is the one on the very left) and try to animate it in After Effects.


First Composition Animating Process

After animating the first composition, Mr. Fauzi also taught us how to combine 2 compositions into one final work. He told us the 2 compositions are called 'pre-composition' and the final will be called 'composition'. So, he gave us another task to make another collage animation from the 3 collages and combine the first and second pre-compositions into one composition.

After I have done the final composition of the collages and rendered it, I only have to put sounds for my works in Adobe Premiere Pro and render it again into one final artwork.


Final Composition Process

Week 6 - Week 7

Here is my final work for digital collage:


Final Artwork of Digital Collage

Mr. Fauzi said my collage animation exercise is okay, he said I understand the keyframes well. He told me to resize the composition because there were black bars on top and below the composition which I had already fixed.

After we were done doing the digital collage exercise, Mr. Fauzi gave us a YouTube video guide of Motion Graphic Techniques to help us make the channel bumper:


Motion Graphic Techniques

We were told to come up with an idea for our project 2 in our last class, so I had already come up with something in mind. I told Mr. Fauzi that I wanted to do an old project given by my sister months ago but I haven't had the chance to do it, which is to animate a logo she had made. My sister is a graphic designer by the name 'Tik' and the logo she gave to me is still an unlaunched brand. She requested me to animate this project and send it back to her to see. Her brand is called 'Twice Upon A Book: Selling Preloved Books'. Just as the name is written, the brand is to sell second-hand books in an online shop.

Mr. Fauzi likes my idea and he told me to make the proposal of the idea in a more formal way, which is in the Google Slides. Before the final proposal was made, here are my first attempt for storyboarding:



First Attempt of Storyboard

Mr. Fauzi said he really likes how I did my storyboards. It has the act, time, camera shot, and sound effects which is detailed. He could picture how the animation will be made. However, he said it was not really a channel bumper, because this project 2 is only to show mostly the logo and some kind like a trailer. So he suggested me to keep it simple and make it 15 seconds.

He suggested me to cut the scene 2, as it is already a channel ident and he wants me to focus on the channel bumper. So the scenes I will be using are scene 1 shot 1, shot 2, shot 3, and scene 3 shot 1, just what I had in mind for plan B.

Here is my channel bumper final presentation slide:


Twice Upon A Book Presentation Slides


Week 8

This week, we already started to animate on our channel bumper. I showed Mr. Fauzi my first attempt on animating the logo and he told me to add opacity towards the "Selling Pre-Loved Books" as it looks much better than just scaling and rotating out of nowhere. After that, he said I should quickly do my next scenes to have a final consultation with him in the next class. Other than that, he approved my logo animation.

After revising my work, here is the final outcome of my second project:


Twice Upon A Book - Channel Bumper



Mr. Fauzi liked what I did with my channel bumper. He's glad that I could make the book flip its pages in time and he said I have done more than enough with the animation, illustrations, etc. There are some flaws in my work before the final result, as the color of the pages of the book was quite flat and the image resolution breaks when the book zooms in. Mr. Fauzi gave me some more time to try and revise my work, but he said the first attempt I have done is already good enough. Thanks to that, I could make a satisfying final artwork for my second project.

For the revision, I have added gradient ramp towards the book pages, making the camera zooms in instead of scaling the book, move the natural sunlight layer on top of the things, and when I asked Tik about this, she wanted me to mask Selling Preloved Books and not rotating it.

Week 9

This week, we were discussing about slides managing and how to submit our works in more disciplined and effective ways. Mr. Fauzi said I did a good job of submitting the project 2. He told me I organized the slides neatly and he likes it. I told him I made some mistake in putting some elements needed in channel bumper as the elements are not shown in my animation work. However, Mr. Fauzi said it is good to show more in the presentation slides, so people could know and understand more of what I am aiming for. He also said that he likes the animation too after giving me feedbacks the other day.



REFLECTIONS

EXPERIENCES

Throughout this project, they were quite many miscommunications, such as inconsistency in working assignments and feedbacks. I was actually quite confused with the various instructions so I asked Mr. Fauzi to be more clear and straight to the point in explaining. I was guessing he took the students' feedbacks and his point became more clear since then. I could understand his instructions better and I could enjoy working on my assignments.

OBSERVATIONS

It was quite challenging making the digital collage and animating the channel bumper. There were things I never knew, especially making the book flip its pages on After Effects. I learned the tutorial on YouTube and while working on this second project, I have paid more attention to my works and succeded in making it worth watching.

FINDINGS

I really learned and find out a lot of lessons throughout this project. I found out that compositions are really important in making collage and how making our working files neat could help us and other people in making motion graphics. Even though it is kind of tiring to be neat, but it is worth it.













Comments

Popular Posts