VIDEO AND SOUND PRODUCTION - FINAL PROJECT


05.04.19 (Week 1) - 05.07.19 (Week 14)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Video and Sound Production

Final Project - Stop Motion



INSTRUCTIONS

Module Information Booklet (MIB)





FINAL PROJECT - STOP MOTION

05.04.19 (Week 1)

To start our final project, Mr. Martin told us to pick 3 existing stop motion videos and explain the reasons why we like them, also we should come up with an idea for our stop motion final project with the theme "I Dreamed A Dream".

First video: Whiteboard Illustration

This video tells us about the history of a couple "Cipto and Yulia" from Indonesia before they got married and expressed it by black marker illustration on a whiteboard.


I like this video because the creator made something simple, but in a meaningful way. He illustrates all of the illustrations and make it into a stop motion. The storylines are clear and the motions are well played. The music is also very supporting. What lacks in this video is the language, because not everyone will understand Indonesian language.

Second video : DIY Cardboard House

This video shows us about making a house from cardboards, cut them into different parts, and combined them to make the house.



I really like how people would craft things like this and share it with everyone. You can see how the creator made every parts of the house slowly and one by one, so the audience could know the steps in doing it. By interpreting it in a stop motion video, it makes the house has this "doll house" vibes.  It's such a shame that the lightning and the quality for the video isn't very nice.

Third video: Tokyo Ghoul Figure

*Tokyo Ghoul is a Japanese anime based on the best selling manga "Tokyo Ghoul" created by Sui Ishida. This stop motion video is one of the big event scene in the 2nd season.*


For the last video, I found this one unexpectedly while scrolling in YouTube. When I first look at it, I first was interested in it and tried to open it. But when the video is played, the stop motion really astounds me!

I love anime so much and when it's made in stop motion with all those graphic and sound effects, I really couldn't take my eyes out of it. The motions were made so smooth and the angle of the cameras are perfect. The creator said himself that the only thing that lacks in this video is because of the character figures weren't made so nicely.

--------------------

Here is my idea for the upcoming final project "I Dreamed A Dream":

A girl woke up from the sound of alarm in her bedroom. She gets up from her bed and start preparing to go to school. She was doing her everyday routine at the school; studying, talking with friends, having lunch, and studying again. The school is almost over for the day, she was in a classroom with her head on top of the table, not listening to the teacher. The breeze that afternoon made her feel sleepy. She couldn't resist it and slowly closes her eyes. She didn't see or hear anything. Everything was dark. Then she slowly hears the sound of a clock ticking as if telling her to wake up. When she opens her eyes, she was in her bedroom again! It turns out that everything she has done for today, was all a dream!

06.05.19 (Week 6)

For this week, we started working on our final project and we could choose between doing it individually with the minimum time limit 30s or paired up with our classmate and make stop motion with the minimum time of 1 minute.

Since I thought that stop-motion is going to be hard to do, I paired up with Maydeline and chose my idea for our final project. We first discussed things that are necessary in making our project and presented it to the lecturers:


Feedback: Mr. Martin said that the idea is interesting and he suggested us to change the ending part, which is someone peeking into the doll house. Mr. Razif said that since it's a daily-life stop-motion, he said the sounds should be easy enough for us to record manually and the lecturers said we should make sure that all the scenes are consistent.

Since we showed out video trial too, Mr. Martin suggested me (as the model) to wear something brighter and not dark. He told us that since it's a doll house, I should dressed up and make myself look like a doll with thick makeup and all.

For the doll house properties, we made it from cartons so the imperfections of the miniature could be seen as it is handmade.



Fig 1.1
Process of Bedroom Prototype


Fig 1.2
Process of Adding Furnitures


Fig 1.3
Process of Dining Room and Kitchen


13.05.19 (Week 7) - 17.06.19 (Week 12)

For these whole weeks, me and Maydeline have our shooting for all the scenes on a white background using camera phone and shutter stock, and start editing in after effects.


Fig 1.1
Stop-Motion Scenes


Fig 1.2
30 Photos for Each Scene

Since it was white background, we couldn't mask faster like in green screen, so we refer to this YouTube tutorial video to help our masking process. This tutorial taught us how to mask without green screen using Roto Brush.



17.06.19 (Week 12)

At week 12, we presented our stop-motion again to the whole class and we received feedbacks to make our stop-motion better. Unfortunately, we haven't edit the whole thing yet and only compiled our scenes, so the outcome was still messy and unorganised.

The lecturers told us to have more ornaments in the scenes and not to forget the colour corrections. They also want us to animate the objects instead of just standing still to make it have more stop-motion feelings.

At first, Mr. Martin suggested us to add motion-blur to the ornaments and furnitures and after we're done, we showed it to the lecturers. However, I also have an idea in animating the objects to have the stop-motion feelings as well.

24.06.19 (Week 13)


Vid 1.1
My Idea (Wiggle)


Vid 1.2
Mr. Martin's Suggestion (Motion Blur)

Online Feedback:

I showed my idea for the stop-motion which is the wiggling of the furnitures and ornaments, however Mr. Razif didn't really like because it was too messy. I wasn't really sure of what Mr. Martin thinks, because he hasn't given feedback yet, but I slight heard him say that it was a pretty bad idea to use this idea (?)

Then, I tried making the motion-blur video and showed it again to the lecturers to compare both methods. Mr. Razif then said that he likes the first method more (wiggle), but he suggested me to have hierachy when the furnitures and ornaments are coming in.

I told this to Mr. Martin and he agrees with Mr. Razif. I asked him which method should I choose and he said I can use both, but I can only choose 1. He actually likes the first idea (wiggle) as it is somehow cute and has the stop-motion feelings. Mr. Razif actually didn't mind if I use the wiggle animation, but make sure the furnitures are grouped so they wouldn't look too messy.

So, from the lecturers feedback, I just needed to pay attention to the hierarchy of the movements of furnitures and ornaments and try to make the audiences attention focused on the doll (myself). So, after I animated the furnitures, I made myself move in the doll house so audiences focus' are following the hierarchy I showed them.

01.07.19 (Week 14)

At the last week, I kept focusing on animating the furnitures and animations, colour correction first in Adobe After Effects and again in Adobe Premiere Pro, with Maydeline kept helping and assisting me everyday in maclab since both of our Adobe are not compatible with the ones in iMac.

After we're done animating, Maydeline is the one in charge for compiling in Adobe Premiere Pro and I do the sounds. Here is what Maydeline has compiled together and done the colour correction.


After that, I just needed to add the sounds to finalise our final project. I used the sounds me and Maydeline recorded together and downloaded other sounds from free stock sounds on the internet. Here is our final outcome of stop-motion final project: Doll House.

Fig 1.4
Sound Effects Used




REFLECTIONS

EXPERIENCES

From the start, this module has given me so much things I haven't knew about. It's sometimes confusing and hard, especially for the sound, since Mr. Razif explained so fast, but every feedback, every consultation, and every little new things I learned were all very useful for me. Final project gave me most stress than other exercises or projects I have done for video and sound production, because I don't have the softwares needed to do my work: Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, and Adobe Audition, so I always need to do my work in maclab. Also the feedbacks given were always changing, so I was really confused and troubled in deciding what kind of animation or elements good enough for my stop-motion final project.

FINDINGS

Since I learned and had fun from this module, I wanted to thank you Mr. Martin and Mr. Razif for always giving me feedbacks and consultations even though I didn't ask for it and how they always care about my difficulties. When they gave me feedback, I found out something I didn't notice and that's how I learned something new. Their feedbacks guided me until I can finish this final project. If there's a chance, I would like to make stop-motion again so I could understand more and be better at making it.



Comments

Popular Posts