DESIGN PRINCIPLE - PROJECT 1



8.10.18 - 22.10.18 (Week 7 - Week 9)

Helen Angelia (0336203)

Design Principle 

Project 1 : Self-Portrait

_________________________________________________________________________________

SELF-PORTRAIT

SELF-PORTRAIT is a representation of an artist that is drawn, painted, photographed, or sculpted by that artist.

A self-portrait may be a portrait of the artist, or a portrait included in a larger work, including a group portrait. Many painters are said to have included depictions of specific individuals, including themselves, in painting figures in religious or other types of composition. Such paintings were not intended publicly to depict the actual persons as themselves, but the facts would have been known at the time to artist and patron, creating a talking point as well as a public test of the artist's skill.

SELF-PORTRAIT  separated in two basic forms: "professional" portraits, in which the artist is depicted at work, and "personal" traits, which reveal moral and psychological features. With the new media came a chance to create different kinds of SELF-PORTRAITs besides simply static painting or photographs. Many people, especially teens, use social working sites to form their own personal identity to form their own personal identity on the internet. Still others use blogs or create personal web pages to create a space for self-expression and self-portraiture.

The SELF-PORTRAIT can be a very effective form of advertising for an artist, especially of course for a portrait painter. On the other hand, some artists depicted themselves very much as they did other clients.

_________________________________________________________________________________

PROJECT 1 - SELF PORTRAIT


For my self-portrait project, I chose an old photo of mine when my hair was longer. I feel like I will always be the person inside the photo, wherever and whenever; creating questions when people first seen me, has a dark vibe (mysterious vibe) and unpredictable. I would want people to see me that way so they will have a scary or bad first impression about me, because I'm hoping when they get to know me, they'll know that I'm completely different person (or maybe not too different from their first impression). It's quite useful when you want to find true friends. 


Fig 1.1 
The photo I took a year ago (when I was 17)

Self-portrait could be in any form, but I chose to do sketching. I'm always interested in drawing other people, but when I drew myself, it somehow feels weird. I tried to make a good result for this is my first time drawing myself.


Fig 1.2
The sketch of my self-portrait

I was quite confused what to do after this, but I stick to my first plan which is using watercolour. Watercolour is quite hard for self-portrait. Usually, if I drew people's portraits, I used classic pencil colour to make the details come out. Watercolour couldn't make details very much, but I still enjoyed working on my project.


Fig 1.3
The coloured self-portrait

After the watercolour paint dries out, I quickly moved to making the decorations. I'd like to make a little bit of collage in my project, but with my drawing. I did some duplicating of my own drawing from real things. Five steps to do the collaging of my own : draw, colour, scan, duplicate and resize and also print.


Fig 1.4
The preference rose and my rose


Fig 1.5
The preference maple leaf


Fig 1.6
The drawn and coloured elements or decorations on the self-portrait

After I scanned, duplicated and resized and printed the decorations, I glued them up and arrange them into a nice composition. I put the roses first and after that I coloured the background with dark sky. The dark sky represents my mysterious trait and the colour when I was down or lonely. I pictured myself drown into the night sky or to the dark deep sea. Roses represents what I like which is simple and elegant things.


Fig 1.7
The glued printed roses


Fig 1.8
The coloured background

After colouring the background, I glued other printed drawings and don't forget to put the four seasons. The cherry blossoms, berries, maple leaves and the white glitters that shows snow represents how I appreciate time. Time goes by and leave memories, whether it's good or bad ones and time makes me motivated to do things while I'm still alive. I want to at least do something good or create some things that makes people happy before I'm not here anymore. Also, I always dreamed of coming to countries with four seasons. That's why I usually put four seasons on my artworks. 


Fig 1.9
The Final Outcome

Now that I've finished my self-portrait which contains meanings on all the elements, I'm satisfied. I hope my artwork could bring me one step closer to my dream. 


_________________________________________________________________________________

FEEDBACK

Ma'am Sherry said that my art is a pretty artwork and I've done a well done job for making the details and all. My friends also like it too. They said that my self-portrait is really pretty and beautiful. Everyone likes it and I liked it, too.

_________________________________________________________________________________



















Comments

Popular Posts